One of my dears friend is about to embark on the journey of motherhood and I along with my friends had the honour of hosting her baby shower.
Lightly Spiced Benne Sesame Cookies
1 cup sesame seeds, toasted 2 egg yolks
½ cup all purpose flour 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon vanilla
½ to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Coat non stick cookie sheets with non stick cooking spray: set aside
- Blend sesame seeds , flour baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small bowl. Cream sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, vinegar and vanilla : beat well .
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Slightly flatten cookies with fork.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are just golden. Remove from heat. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Soft Ginger Cookies
2 cups all purpose flour ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger ¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon baking soda ¼ cup molasses
¼ teaspoon salt ½ cup fat free sour cream
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 egg white
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Combine flour, ginger ,baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl. Beat brown sugar , oil and molasses in large bowl with electrick mixer and medium speed 1 minute until smooth. Add sour cream and egg white: beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until well blended.
- Drop dough by round tablespoons 2 inches apart onto uncgreased cookie sheets. Flatten dough to 1/8inch thickness with bottom of glass sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 10 minutes or until tops of cookies puff up and spring back when lightly touched. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks:cool completely.
Makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies
Creamy Lemon Nut Bars
½ butter or marg. 1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar 2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla 3 eggs
1 ¾ cups flour divided ½ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup pecans, chopped 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line 13 x 9 baking pan with foil; spray with cooking spray. Mix butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Gradually stir in 1 ½ cups of the flour and pecans. Press dough firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. BAKE 15 min.
- Beat cream cheese and granulated sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until well blended. Add remaining ¼ cup flour and eggs ; beat until blended.
- Stir in lemon juice and peel. Pour over baked crust in pan. Bake 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven. ; cool completely. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar cut into 32 bars.